Tuesday, April 13

.x summr reading list

fuck the african-american literary cannon
fuck all literary cannons

no one person, group of people, or committee can decide what literature is important to anybody but themselves.

i just finished reading "What Looks Like Crazy: on an ordinary day" by Pearl Cleager. Its an amazing book. Its set in the nineties but it has very modern overtones. The book touches on alot of things but that thing that I appreciate the most is the way that it describes love. It looks at love in its purest, rawest state and it absorbs it into the pores of its readers. Its awesome.

but yeah, I said fuck the cannons because I dont care about em.

Honestly, Color Purple, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Wedding, etc are so out of touch with modern day African-American literary scholars that it almost doesnt make any sense.
Dont get me mistaken though. I'm not saying that Zane is the next big African American Literary Mastermind, but I dont think that Eric Jerome Dickey (especially the Gideon Trilogy) should be critisized because he doesnt focus on issues that are inately "black".

thats just my piece

0 Commentaires:

Post a Comment